Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Live each day like its the last

Have you ever thought about death? Do you wonder what it's like to die or what happens to you after you die? For the optimistic- there's the heaven theory. You die and live happily ever after in heaven, surrounded by angels, flowers and other celestial beings. For the Buddhists- there's the reincarnation theory. You will reincarnate into another being: whether you become an animal or a human will depend on your kind deeds that you have done in your previous life. The reap what you sow concept. Now for the tv serial drama addicts- you are likely to believe that your soul will leave your physical self and perhaps- enter another physical being/ roam around the human world/ wait around for some celestial beings to bring you away.

The sad truth is that it's nothing like that. The cold hard truth is that after you die, your consciousness will end and without that, you are nothing. I had this sudden realisation after experiencing firsthand of what it was like yesterday. So I was standing in a crowded train, and suddenly I felt weakness in my legs, and my vision blurred. I struggled to stay conscious but it was a tough fight. You vs your conscious- I'm telling you, there's no fight at all. So I literally felt my consciousness drift away and everything blackened in front of me. Don't worry, I'm fine- long story of what happened after that but let's just say I have a new found appreciation for the train service ambassadors.

What I wanted to say and share is: life's short. Live every day like its last. Because when you die, there's going to be no heaven waiting for you, no memories that you can cherish and nothing you can remember. It's a switch, I remember the moment so vividly, it's literally a shut down button like on your computer. As your consciousness drift away, it's like the processes shutting down one by one until the cold black screen appears.

I'm glad to have found a new appreciation of life after this episode.

Run in the rain.
Go Zumba dancing.
Climb mountains.
Take long walks.
Satisfy your cravings.
Watch sunrises.
Observe.
Learn a new language.
Read.
Smile to everyone.
Forget about petty arguments.
Buy Insurance for your loved ones.
Wear pretty clothes and shoes.
Explore new places.
Enjoy the sun.
Go kayaking.
Listen to music.
Dance in concerts like you are still in high school (BIGBANG!)
Inspire others and be inspired.
Paint your nails.
Colour your hair.
Be true to your feelings.

Live life.
Love life.

No comments: