Sunday, January 06, 2013

Movie Reviews

Have watched a couple of movies over the past few months, thought it would be worthwhile to write my two cents worth for those movies here, or i will probably forget about them completely in the next few months.

First Up >>>  ARGO

Watched this argo movie at the perfect timing.

With my Sikkim India trip still fresh in my mind, where i could still remember the snow capped Himalaya Mountains vividly...
Just finished reading a book which touched on Afghanistan, Pakistan and Taliban...
(Side note: That was quite a good book, for more information, refer to goodreads.com >> http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77203.The_Kite_Runner)

So as you can guess, with my interest in Middle East already piqued, ARGO was the perfect movie from which i learnt about Iran's history in the most entertaining way ever. What i was deeply impressed about was the ingenuity of the entire storyline, and the best part?

It is a True Story. Kudos to the Mendez in real life for having the courage to carry out the mission.


Next >> CZ12

Oh gosh. I do not know where to begin with this one. A disclaimer first i suppose, that was not my choice of movie at all. So anyway, some people gave good reviews on this movie and it is supposed to be Jackie Chan's last action film.

Basically, a piece of advice - just watch it with low / no expectations.

Have to applaud Jackie for his multiple roles in this production, i think i read in 8 days that he actually got into the Guinness World Record for having the most credits in the movie. He was so involved that he even checked the food catered everyday, and made everyone label their cups/ bottles?

Back to the movie proper.

Kwon Sang Woo was a nice surprise. (I didn't read up on this movie beforehand)
Being such a K- Drama Fan Girl, that was of course a bonus point for me.
(The BF on the other hand was like.. whos that?  He's korean? What shows did he act in? *Fainted* Kwon Sang Woo okay??!?!)

Other than that, i was just basically laughing at how ridiculous the story was most of the time.

I can see the effort that Jackie put in, but sorry:- all i got from the movie was a laugh, nothing particularly memorable.


Last but not least >>  Rurouni Kenshin

Ever since i saw the trailer on this movie, i have been wanting to watch it.
Yes- because i read the manga series more than 10+ years ago (tho shall not even try to count the exact years)
I had to watch this movie because its part of my childhood and i wanted to revive my memories.
The timings for this movie were terrible, but i finally managed to catch the movie yesterday.

For people who did not read the manga series, chances are, they will not appreciate the movie as much as I do.

I found the girl who acted as Kaoru to be too young!
And not pretty enough in my opinion.
Kenshin was suave and dashing *swoon**
Sanosuke was a comical touch as usual. **heart**
Yosuke Eguchi's appearance was a wonderful surprise.

To all my fellow J-Drama fans of the 1990s, who would not know Yosuke Eguchi?
*Revived my wonderful memories of watching Jap doramas, Under One Roof, etc etc*

(Cue in the BF again.. Yosuke Eguchi? Whos that? What show did he act in? Famous? ...)

I am biased in this review and i cannot help it.

Loved the fighting scenes, go Kenshin go!!

I would say that the director did an excellent job in re-telling the story, even adding in a little comical touches in the movies reminiscent of the comical touches in the manga series too.

One of these days.. it may be time for me to re-read the whole manga series of <浪客劍心> again. ^^




No comments: